Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Distressed Jars.

My dad gave me some jars that he wasn’t going to use because he couldn’t find any lids to fit them.  I washed them in hot soapy water, let them air dry completely and then rubbed the outside of them down with rubbing alcohol to make sure they were 100% clean.

Then I wrote words on them in Sharpie. and traced over those words with school glue.

DSCN4042

  If you look closely at the picture below you can see the black Sharpie marker showing through the glue that’s starting to dry clear. If your glue words are a little messy take a tooth pick and use the tip to push the glue around where you want it.

DSCN4045

Let these dry overnight. If you move on to the next step before these are completely dry you can mess up the glue and ruin your words.

Now pick a color or two of acrylic paint. I chose white and vanilla ice cream because it’s a little darker than ivory. Make sure that your paint is new and NOT OLD. If you use old paint for this project the 2nd layer you need to put on will pull and gunk up the 1st layer of paint and it’ll be a compete mess!! Learn from my mistake and save yourself some time. Smile

Use a smaller bristled brush and give each jar one coat of paint. Let this coat dry a few hours before moving on to the next coat.  The picture below was taken after the 2nd coat. Make sure you don’t get any drips or pools of paint around your letters.

DSCN4046

After everything has been coated twice and dried completely grab some 100 grain sandpaper and rough up each jar however you like and as much or as little as you like.

DSCN4047

I then sprayed 2 coats of acrylic sealer on each jar to seal in all my hard work and keep the jars from getting roughed up more. I choose matte because I didn’t want them to have a shine but you could use Satin if you prefer. I found this below at Wal-Mart for $4 and change.

DSCN4055

Here are all the white ones I made. I thought  they needed a little something more so I tied some jute around the tops of them.

DSCN4048

And here are all my vanilla ice cream ones.

DSCN4051

My absolute favorite one I made has to be this one. Smile

DSCN4054

~Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment